Share

Friday, October 17, 2014

Rainy days and candles and other distractions

It's rainy here today.

I love rainy days because it means I can light my candles.  And I love my candles.

Also gray days and dark early days.  It's too depressing to not light candles on these days.

Our first year here was so dark and rainy and gray that sometimes I didn't think I'd make it through.  Also it was really hard, so I'm sure that made the dark and gray and rainy both worse and more.

But then I remembered candles.

Today I sit at the kitchen table with a mug full of steamed milk and the soft glow of my candle, and I can say I feel happy.  The deep down, warm kind of happy.  I couldn't say that our first year.  Hardly every.  Possibly never.

I should be packing for our trip tomorrow.  But every time I look at the towering piles of laundry that need sorted and put away before I can even begin I completely freeze.  Or I distract myself with very important things that do not involve deciding how many outfits an 18-month-old can and will go through in a week.  Such as deep cleaning the house from top to bottom.  Washing the sheets.  Putting away the mountains of dishes surrounding the drying rack.  These things may not have found themselves high on my priority list for the past few months, but today, they're crucial.

And besides, I'd hate to miss Joel and I's frantic, stress-filled, pre-vacation fight this year.  Fortunately, I've got my line ready.

"How can you expect me to pack for five people, make and clean dinner, dress, feed and gather the children and still be ready when you want to go?"

I've used it once or twenty times before, but there's not much he can say to it.  I think he's catching on though, so I'm not sure it will hold up much longer.  But please people, there's no way he'll find time to read this today, so let's agree to not tell him.  Let me have my moment.  If only for one last time.

Alright, I'm out.  Onto more pressing and less desirable matters.

But I'll leave you with this picture.  My little nook in the world.  My happy place, if you will.

I just couldn't bring myself to move the Ninja Turtle.  It felt like a lie.

I'll be clinging to this memory while the words "Mom, he's touching me!" dance around in my head for six hours straight tomorrow.


3 comments:

  1. Oh how I remember all of this. Especially that pretrip fight. :-)
    Vacations are stressful to get ready for and even getting there can be tough but vacations are sooo worth it. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true, Aunt Patti! We're on the road now and already the packing stress is becoming a distant memory.

    ReplyDelete